A 19th-century green marble statue with a modern twist greets visitors in the Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris. The gardens cover 60 acres of land surrounding the Palais du Luxembourg on the Left Bank. The palace was built in 1631 for Marie de Medicis of Florence, Italy, widow of Henry IV. After the French Revolution, the palace was used briefly as a prison. During World War II, it served as German military headquarters. Today the building houses the French Senate!