A monument to Cristopher Columbus soars above the palm trees in the Jardines de Murillo. It features a bronze replica of the Santa Maria, the ship on which Columbus sailed to the New World in 1492.
The gardens at the southern end of Barrio de Santa Cruz were previously orchards and vegetable plots on the grounds of the Real Alcazar Palace. In 1911 the land was donated to the City of Sevilla and named after Sevilla's most famous paiter, Bartolome Esteban Murillo (1617-82), whose residence was nearby on Calle Santa Teresa.
Along a promenade - Paseo de Catalina de Ribera - in the Jardines de Murillo is a tribute to the founder of the Hospital de las Cinco Llagas, now home to the Parlamento de Andalucia.