Post amended Nov. 29 and 30 to include names of more participants
Now that everyone's enjoyed a Thanksgiving turkey - or at least a nice weekend - time to turn our attention to The Third Day Book Club's selection Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell. Twenty-one of us have agreed - at least in principle - to read and blog about the book. As it's less than 200 pages, even if you haven't had a chance to dive in, there's still time! Once you start reading, chances are you'll race through, the book is so compelling:
If you had a fleeting chance to escape a life of drudgery and poverty, of living hand-to-mouth in a closeknit rural community, would you take it? Or would you suppress your personal desires to stay and help secure a better life for your family?
These are some of the tough questions raised in Winter's Bone after 16-year-old Ree's father disappears, leaving her to care for her younger brothers, as well as an unbalanced mother. Worst of all, they're in danger of losing their house!
Besides the 21 participants listed below, any one else who wants to read the book and blog about it on December 3 is welcome! Simply post a review on your blog on Sunday, Dec. 3 and leave a comment for me with your link. It's easy! Or if you prefer, email the link to your piece and I'll post it here.
1. Patry Francis - Simply Wait (it's her bookclub, after all)
2. Sarala - Blogaway
3. Becca - Becca's Byline
4. Kristen - Sticking to the Point
5. Terri - Tinker Art
6. Awareness - Mayfair Place
7. Deborah - Jane Poe, Nevermore
8. Naturegirl - Nature Trail
9. Catherine - Still Standing on Her Head
10. Ally Bean - Crazy Dust in My Coffee
11. Maureen - Land of Little Rain
12. AnnieElf - Scenes from a Slow Moving Train
13. Lisa - Ocean Dreamer - Hand of Enchantment
14. Tara - Paris Parfait (uh, that would be me, your host)
15. Amishlaw - A Crockhead Abroad
16. Sophie - Courage my Love
17. Colleen - Loose Leaf Notes
18. Tarakuanyin - Tarakuanyin
19. Mai-wen - Mai-wen
20. M.G. Tarquini - M.G. Tarquini
21. Karen - Beyond Understanding
Hope you enjoy reading the book. Can't wait to hear what you think!